March 10 2005,  85 hours.

Finally my 4 cross-beams are complete and ready to attach to the floats after 85 hours of work.

I experienced "trojan horses" and "e-mail worms" if you know what I mean... But now my PC is feeling better.

I tougth initially that the beams would be simple to build...NOT.

They were so much trouble to make, to obtain a barely curved shape in the end... A lot of work for nothing in my opinion. Aluminum profiles would be superior and probably lighter. If we could stamp those in sheet metal it would be perfect!

Each beam weighs 38 lbs.

Lots and lots of grinding and sanding to do between the numerous laminating jobs. I think the method used for the Scarab650, with a female mold, is far superior and I still wonder why Ray changed it for the Scarab22 (Fouilles-mo...).

From now on, hit me on the head if I ever say again "this should be quick to make"...!

I will add some comments with the photos at a later time...

2004_1223Image0003.JPG (53959 bytes)

I am not following Ray's laminating schedule. I figured there were too many little fiberglass pieces.

 

2004_1223Image0006.JPG (50096 bytes)

It is very important to create LARGE radius on all corners that are to be laminated over. The plans don't specify a value but at least 10mm radius in necessary for 600 gsm double-bias glass. If too sharp, the glass will lift away from the surface creating ugly air bubbles that need to be repaired.

 

2004_1223Image0010.JPG (55879 bytes)

2004_1223Image0012.JPG (64762 bytes)

2004_1223Image0014.JPG (54509 bytes)

2004_1223Image0017.JPG (46058 bytes)

2004_1223Image0020.JPG (48588 bytes)

Using dummy tubes to align beam halves.

 

2004_1223Image0030.JPG (51415 bytes)

This part was laminated and cut as specified in the plans... 3 inches too long!

 

2004_1223Image0031.JPG (52131 bytes)

The foam filler pieces are too low by about 12 mm. Too late to fix... I will just glass over this when I attach the beams to the floats.

 

2004_1223Image0032.JPG (55659 bytes)

Checking the fit of the first layer of top cap laminate. 2 layers are required. Note the paint cans I use as weights.

 

2004_1223Image0034.JPG (58787 bytes)

A lot of trouble for a square fiberglass box...

 

2004_1223Image0036.JPG (60276 bytes)

2005_0103Image0004.JPG (52207 bytes)

Checking the fit of the lower folding struts. I verified this by making wooden dummy struts. That was a wise thing to do because I discovered that the boat would be impossible to fold completely due to oversize foam pieces at the end of the beams. They are too long by about 10 mm and interfere with the folding strut end.

 

2005_0103Image0007.JPG (52076 bytes)

2005_0103Image0011.JPG (50266 bytes)

Foam pieces re-shaped correctly. This would be a hell of a job to do on finished beams, with the glass and everything.

 

2005_0304Image0001.JPG (54463 bytes)

Gluing on second layer of top laminate.

 

2005_0304Image0002.JPG (67424 bytes)

2005_0304Image0003.JPG (79710 bytes)

 

2005_0304Image0004.JPG (86081 bytes)

2005_0304Image0006.JPG (59174 bytes)

Checking the fit of a beam in a float. Looks good but the hole cut in the float is HUGE.

 

2005_0304Image0009.JPG (48019 bytes)

Is that enough foam for you? At least it is good flotation... My little kid is having as much fun as me!

 

2005_0304Image0010.JPG (48459 bytes)

2005_0304Image0013.JPG (52785 bytes)

Float bulkhead stub too long. Not a big deal, I will cut this flush before attaching the beam to the floats.

 

2005_0304Image0015.JPG (58895 bytes)

2005_0304Image0017.JPG (58849 bytes)

2005_0304Image0020.JPG (51309 bytes)

2005_0304Image0022.JPG (48549 bytes)

Rounding edges. Make LARGE radiuses!!! 10mm minimum. It is interesting to try to make nice round edges on foam panels. The glass face is super hard and the foam is super soft.

 

2005_0304Image0023.JPG (49468 bytes)

2005_0304Image0024.JPG (44913 bytes)

2005_0304Image0025.JPG (40800 bytes)

2005_0304Image0026.JPG (54225 bytes)

2005_0304Image0027.JPG (48696 bytes)

2005_0304Image0028.JPG (58583 bytes)

Glassing the beam sides in one piece.

 

2005_0304Image0029.JPG (69095 bytes)

2005_0304Image0030.JPG (54696 bytes)

2005_0304Image0031.JPG (44143 bytes)

2005_0304Image0032.JPG (61370 bytes)

2005_0304Image0034.JPG (61259 bytes)

2005_0304Image0035.JPG (64491 bytes)

2005_0304Image0036.JPG (62077 bytes)

2005_0304Image0041.JPG (58837 bytes)

2005_0304Image0043.JPG (32575 bytes)

2005_0304Image0045.JPG (42549 bytes)

Air bubbles under the glass. This is what happens if the edges are too sharp. To repair, I drilled 3 holes in each bubble, 1/8" dia.: one in the center and 2 at the ends. I then used a small syringe filled with epoxy putty and filled the bubbles from the center holes. Worked great.

 

2005_0304Image0047.JPG (51886 bytes)

2005_0304Image0049.JPG (64278 bytes)

I did some edge grinding outside. Very dusty job... I noticed that fiberglass dust looks just like snow!

 

2005_0304Image0051.JPG (64421 bytes)

2005_0304Image0054.JPG (67584 bytes)

2005_0304Image0060.JPG (56375 bytes)

2005_0304Image0061.JPG (55313 bytes)

2005_0304Image0062.JPG (58693 bytes)

2005_0304Image0065.JPG (44322 bytes)

No comments...

 

2005_0304Image0067.JPG (56575 bytes)

2005_0304Image0068.JPG (61579 bytes)

2005_0304Image0069.JPG (52725 bytes)

This is a patch of glass I added to reinforce the inboard end of the beams. Nothing is specified in the plans but My Finite Element Analysis shows high loads there.

 

2005_0304Image0070.JPG (53466 bytes)

2005_0304Image0071.JPG (59479 bytes)

2005_0304Image0072.JPG (51681 bytes)

2005_0309Image0110.JPG (120958 bytes)

2005_0309Image0111.JPG (121455 bytes)

2005_0309Image0113.JPG (120835 bytes)

2005_0309Image0114.JPG (120713 bytes)

2005_0309Image0115.JPG (123962 bytes)